Aquehonga: Area- Handicraft
The Handicraft Lodge always attracts a great number of Scouts and can be a fun challenge for the first-year camper. Scouts work on craft projects using wood, leather, basket, or metal kits to earn the popular Handicraft merit badges. It seems that everyone who visits the Handicraft Lodge lets their creativity flow while working in the open air at Aquehonga! Adult leaders can also create personalized items with the full range of tools available.
Please Note: Most Handicraft Merit Badges require that a Scout purchase additional supplies so that they may use them to complete the badge. These items are always available in our Trading Post. The additional costs are noted in the descriptions
- Leatherwork: Scouts are required to learn the finesse involved with the process of utilizing Leatherworking tools such as dies and cements. Scouts will work on several projects involving the process of tooling leather as well as learn the history and the importance of Leatherwork and the Leatherworking process. *Approximate Cost: $7.00*
- Basketry: Scouts work with the Staff to develop the skills of basketry as they work to create a full-sized stool and several baskets. They will learn various techniques and materials used in the process of basket-making. *Approximate Cost: $18.00*
- Wood Carving: Scouts combine, finesse and skill to create finely carved items from various starting materials. They learn the proper care, use and safe handling of woodworking tools and work to create several keepsakes as a trophy of their work. *Approximate Cost: $3.00**
- Art: Scouts are given a complete overview of the diverse field of art. Scouts will experiment with different media and create several different projects of their own! *Approximate Cost: $6.00*
- Open Craft: Scouts and Leaders are given the opportunity to come down to the Lodge and work on any kind of craft under the instruction of our Handicraft staff!
- Leader Volunteers: The Handicraft Staff is always looking for any volunteers to come and assist Scouts as they work to complete their projects to earn their badges! Any help would be greatly appreciated!